Friday, February 8, 2008

How to find the time...

I went to my LSS today. While I don't scrapbook, I can ALWAYS find something useful when I'm there. I love all the papers out there, ribbon, eyelets, brads... even the flowers. I am hoping to find time to make a Valentine for someone special, LOL.
Speaking of time, how do you work in the time to play in your studio? Between work, homeschooling kiddos and household chores, there is so little time to actually do something creative. Even blogging is hard to do, but that can be started and stopped and started again without much effort, unlike art. At least for me. If I go into create something, at least one child will follow, and if it's after they are in bed, then a husband comes a-calling. And since I'm NOT a morning person, it's hard for me to get motivated to get up early and work. Blech.

I signed up for the Houston Area Scrapbook Roundup! Yes, I know I said I don't really scrapbook, but hey, I get a cool tote bag (designed by Mark Jetton of Deadbeat Designs) and 20% off all my purchases made during that time!! Wooohooo!

And now, my new fave coffee mug:

2 comments:

ChristineMM said...

Hello!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I came over to see who you were and what is on your mind.

I don't have a good answer for the art making and being a mom. I homeschool too.

Most of my best art making time is in a few different ways. One is I declare that a weekend afternoon is mine to make art. I make my husband take the kids to visit his mother or he does some errands with kids in tow. Other times he agrees to take over being the kid watcher and does stay home with me. Since my kids are 7.5 and 10.5 now I can tell them, "I am taking a few hours to make art. You are welcome to make art with me at the table but I can't do a big project with you." You see sometimes they can work alone and do their thing and I can do mine.

Secondly sometimes I wake up at 4am and can't sleep, am wide awake. Some days I go make the art in the dark while everyone else is asleep.

Other times I might declare some after dinner time as art time. Since I am with my kids all day and homeschooling them I don't need that time to 1) oversee homework or 2) have 'quality time' with them. I tell the kids to go amuse themselves so I can make art. My DH is home then too and he interacts with them.

Lastly, I sometimes squeeze it in in short bursts. Like I do art on the counter while they are doing their math at the kitchen table. Or I squeeze in 15 minutes before I start dinner. Sometimes those little cram sessions are not fulfilling and other times they allow me to work creatively when I really have the juices flowing and 'it works for me'.

Of course I always pine for more art making time. I wish I had a full day a week to be alone and make art. I just crave that lately. After so many years of attachment parenting and being so close with my kids I have been feeling more and more, a need to do something 'just for myself' and to 'play with art' to not be so serious about life all the time. I admit this mothering journey has made me a more intense person and more serious, not so good to be so serious...

Have a great day.

Jessica Smith said...

love that mug so cute.